Saturday, January 12, 2008

Poem - Procrastination

Procrastination

Write a poem, the lesson said
Make it new, or drag out your dead.
You have a week to make your mark
I’ll go to bed – it’s late and it’s dark.

Fall break, so longed for, now arrives
The poem awaits its wisdom tides.
Video games and friends to see
Movies to watch – relaxation for me.

Sunday night now, and I should write
Oh what the hell, ‘tis football night
My poem, mulled in wine, will wait in its sorrow
Surely Monday is fine. I’ll write it tomorrow.

Work today? I guess I shall
Money is tight for this little gal.
Oh shoot, my poem! ‘Tis midnight now
Tuesday’s the day. I’ll write it somehow.

Tuesday in class, new movies in mail
My poem! My poem! My brain doth wail
Shush I say, Sopranos last season!
Away with you now, your sensible treason.

Eleven PM, the clock screams from the wall
Your quiz is done, your excuses now fall.
Get to work writing, or sorrow you’ll see
When the A that you’ve made drops down to a B.

So here I sit writing in contrary verse
How bad can it be? I’ve written much worse.
Put off ‘til tomorrow and not done today
Pleasure before work, not work before play.

Some day I’ll do better – later, not now
Make up a plan and stick to it. Wow!
I’ll do that tomorrow, or maybe next week
It’s midnight now, and I need some sleep.

No comments: